Monday, January 08, 2007

First Class

I left the auto show with hours to spare, because I was afraid of traffic. Didn't want to be late for my first class. Seriously considered not showing up for my first class because I could be at auto show parties, smiling and fluttering my eyelashes. But I already have the attitude of "it's community college, how hard can it be?" in the back of my brain . . . and the front (or side, or whatever) thinks, make that knows, that it's a bad thing to be thinking. So I'm here . . . early . . . with basically bells on.

And because I'm so early, I've found the coffee shop. And because I came straight from the auto show, I have "George" with me. I'm not leaving him in the car. And hopefully class will entail "Here's the book you need . . . buy some metal . . . bring 10 sketches next week . . . the lab hours are . . . " and be done in ten minutes, so I can go back to the auto show.


Postscript: The class lasted two hours. So no auto show tonight. There are multiple spelling and grammatical errors in the syllabus (I know, let she who is without cast the first stone) . . . and not "your - you're" kinds of things, stuff that you would find on spell check. It took all my powers not to fix them and hand it back. Instructor is cool. I'm older than him. Most of the students are kids. The word "kegger" was said in the first four minutes of class. "The Little Mermaid" is four of the students' favorite movie (we did the name game). And when I was talking to one of the students, he pointed out that I seemed to know more than the instructor (I don't actually.) So MUST keep my mouth shut. Get in, put the ipod on, and get out. 3 credits. 4 months. Should be easy enough.

No comments: