Saturday, January 20, 2007

Really, the Best Part was Playing Pool

This morning I woke up refreshed, despite the vodka shower (not my choice) and cigar that I had the night before. I showered, put on the second oldest sweater I own (J. Crew . . . muted green), decided on a hat and was out the door.

I went to C.R. Hill first and was pleasantly surprised to find it open. Someone keeps telling me to be more positive (keeps = twice, so not all that often) and when I found myself doubting that the obscure metal and jewelry tool secret store would be open, I consciously told myself to quit it . . . and taa-daa, it was open. From 9 am to noon on Saturday. I bought $80 worth of wax and wax tools. You all better appreciate your rings (and should send me your ring sizes if you want them to fit). It was soooo nice to buy art supplies for a class when I have the money. Although I was always working in college, I was also making slightly more than minimum wage and had to pay for, well, more school. Today, I could impulse-buy dental tools. Hey, you have a book on how to carve wax? Sure, throw it in. Some wax saw blades. Heck, yes. I held off on the twenty dollar file though. I think I can find one exactly like it at Home Depot for a fourth of the price. So I didn't go totally crazy. Already have the dragon ring in my head, with little prongs to hold in the beads for eyes.

Then I drove to my brother's to borrow his laptop for my Romeo and Juliet meeting. He had excellent coffee and we made fun of music videos for a half an hour. He is currently addicted to the IMC (I think that's what it is called) which has much better videos than VH1 or MTV. As a child of MTV, I do enjoy a music video once in a great while . . . although I don't like imagery to be stuffed into my head. "MTV is for him now." D said, pointing at the nine year old playing with action figures on the floor while singing along to Blue October. And that was my heyday with MTV also, so it makes sense.

Made it to the Dearborn Borders without being late. Had a very productive meeting, with everything assigned and planned by week. Six weeks of teaching Romeo and Juliet . . . and I got to go shopping. Bought the new juxtapoz, Metalsmith magazine and the new American Craft, just for ideas.

Drove downtown via Michigan Avenue. Met my brother and sister-in-law at CCS. Found more wax at the CCS bookstore (cheaper too!) and bought Z. a shirt so he could have even more bragging rights about "goin' to college". He is taking a cartooning class for kids through their community education program. Best part of the class? He got to play pool in the student center during break. His instructor writes comic books. He saw them. But nothing about the title or characters . . . just comic books. And he learned how to draw eyeballs.

We went to the DIA. Z had never been there. Tried to tell him about some art but really . . . talking about art is boring. Swords are kinda cool. The stairs were the best part. There really should be more stairs . . . or more correctly, more stairs open to the public. Then we went to the Auto Show, which was overwhelming just in the amount of strollers on the premises. Good to see wall-to-wall people in Cobo . . . but only needed to see that for about four seconds.

Walked to Layfette Coney Island, which is next to a pipe store, possibly explaining it's early discovery by my Grandfather. I know, it's famous. But I had never been there. And it's good. Really, really good. Crack was put in the chili good. Plus the yelling and writing nothing down, the fact that your food comes in seconds, the original decor, the standing room only part. Just good. And I will always try to sit next to the radiator. Toasty butt and a loose hamburger with everything. Yum.

So it was a good day. I'm going to read about carving wax effectively and maybe do a little knitting. Mr. Crabbypants and I have a Costco and wine drinking meeting tomorrow. Again, sounds lovely.

No comments: