Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Made It In

I am officially an Oakland Community College student as of next Tuesday. I've been accepted. I feel so loved.

The application focused heavily on my high school career, so I was a little nervous . . . high school being so long ago and me only having a 3.3 grade point average, as I didn't really apply myself. But as it turns out they don't even look at your application. They look at your driver's license. And I have one of those, with three different endorsements. The picture kinda looks like me.

Stopped by the "counseling window" that has a big sign that reads "this window is for questions that can be answered in 10 MINUTES ONLY". My question only took a minute to say . . . about 40 seconds to answer. They will be needing my transcripts. I can take them to three different places in the building (I had asked another question, as I had more than 8 minutes left). Got a look from the other new student behind me because my question started with "Yeah, I have a master's degree and I want to . . . " Must have sounded like a snob. Heck, am sounding like a snob right now.

Weird being the oldest person in a building. Well, some of the construction workers were my age. I suppose it will be worse once I get into a class.

Anyhow, OCC seems much more easy-going when it comes to admissions than, say, law school or the organizational theory doctoral program that I'm interested in. Plus I don't have to quit my job, move, or write a thesis.

Just have to live with finishing a yearbook and taking 6 credits. Advanced Photoshop and Advanced Life Drawing . . . it will be fun. Maybe ceramics . . . but then you have to give all of it away. It's becomes like zucchini. And I already have too much shit. Paper I can at least store flat, with all of the other drawings in the attic.

No comments: