Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mom Should Be So Proud

Link is here. I'm sure I'm now on some watch list . . . and I'll never be able to run for office. But it wins for coolest thing I've seen all day.

Was sort of raised this way . . . except for when I asked to join the little league team and the hockey team. Then I was told that only boys did that . . . but I'm not sure if it was a gender issue, or a "don't want my kid's teeth knocked out of her head" move. Pretty sure if I had been a boy, my mother would have said something like "oh no, they only let girls on the hockey team". Or monkeys. Or filth. Whatever worked for her at the time.

Oh, there was that whole "girls don't call boys" lecture when I was a teenager, but I'm sure that was based completely in gender difference brain studies, with a smattering of "hunter vs. gatherer" anthropology. Right Mom? And she was pretty much right on that one anyhow.

And I never did have a Barbie or an Easy-Bake oven. As I understand it, it's just a box with a light bulb?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

m-now, with a 3 year old wundergurl i am with you...of course it helped being prepped for the new realpolitik by having all that i believed in torn away in slow motion...kind of in a big way a major fucking gravity storm that prepped me to think..my girl can do anything and who is going to stop her...t

Anonymous said...

Who needs an ezbake when you have the real thing, a grandmother, and a dustbuster?

iamthanu said...

And Z., he DOES love the dustbuster.

And I never really wanted an ez bake over . . . and the only Barbie like thing lost her head with me in less than twenty minutes, which I remember was a present from Grandma Flora (one could always count on her for reinforcing negative gender stereotypes -- and ordering crispy chicken salad).

Anonymous said...

Can I get a Hallelujah!
Or an Ez-bake oven?


~sms~

iamthanu said...

No, I believe my mother called you that.