Wednesday, November 01, 2006

While Sitting in the "Cone of Silence"

I talk to a lot of divorced men. Something about being single and 35. And I always take their stories with a grain of salt . . . figuring that there are two sides to every story I hear (and sometimes three or four). I never get to hear the ex-wife, but know I would present my story in a way that is favorable to me. We all do it to some extent. It's psyche preservation.

And I don't really want to hear from the ex-wives anyhow. Not even curious. Well, maybe with that one . . . and the moving away to live in the single wide with the "platonic" friend and the goat . . . but just because it's such an interesting story.

And unfortunately, the stories are very similar . . . married in our twenties . . . thought I knew the girl . . . people change . . . she doesn't want to be married anymore . . . she left.

With a smattering of infidelity mixed in.

And as someone who really wants to be married, I never understand the motivation. As someone who really wants children, I can't understand why anyone would leave them. And so I listen to the stories and hope that there is another side. A rationable, reasonable side . . . though not too reasonable (like he beat me) because I'm probably about to go out with the storyteller.

And then I went to Starbucks today and my fears were realized. (No, I didn't run into anyone's ex . . . but that would have been fun, wouldn't it?) People talk on their cell phones like they are in a magical "cone of silence" somehow and the woman next to me . . . she is leaving her husband. She knows that it is at least 50% her fault, but she can't be married anymore . . . just can't. And single people, they can do anything, you know . . . they can be authors and . . .

The whole time, her toddler is sleeping in his mega-mobile stroller.

And he wants to sell the house . . . and she could get a pretty good job . . . and yeah, I've thought about marriage counseling but really, what's the point?

I wanted to snatch her parenting license away . . . until I realized that there is no parenting license. A woman on her cell phone telling her friend that she was leaving her husband. Not because he was mean, or beating her, or for any other good reason that I can't think of right now, oh, like cheating on her . . . just because she didn't want to be married anymore. And those single people . . . yeah, well, they have it so good.

I really wanted to turn and tell her about being single, but I talk to strangers too much about things they don't want to hear. So I held my tongue. I didn't tell her that she could be whatever it was that she so wanted to be . . . and she could still be married doing it. I didn't talk to her about the stress and needless crap that her two-year old was going to go through because she just didn't feel like staying married anymore. Didn't talk to her about the dating pool for 35 year old women, like ourselves, who would all be men like her husband . . . except a little more angry because they had found someone that they wanted to commit to . . . and that other woman didn't feel like being married anymore either.

I really didn't want to think that the stories were true. And yet, here, in the seat next to me, was the confirmation . . . gabbing into her cell phone . . . surrounded by her imaginary cone of silence. And I felt horrible. And sad. For all the stories that I have heard.

And I think I should get props for slipping a "Get Smart" reference in . . . and not hitting anyone at the Starbucks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose you can hope for the best in that situation - that she was just venting to her friend; perhaps, when she sees all the gory details of divorce, she'll get counseling instead...who knows.

I think life must suck these days for most kids. So much pressure to perform in school, get into college, compete in the "Global Economy", deal with unstable family situations...it all reminds me of History class about the 18th century, when kids were considered 'little adults' who basically didn't get childhood.

Yet the "parents" who started this were members of the richest, most priveleged generation in history...what the heck happened, anyway?

Anonymous said...

bloggeroo..you know who I am and how desperate and hungry I can be...and I can tell you from my heart that last night I did not have my daughter on my shoulders as we went door to door...and that it really hurt me but more importantly it hurt my daughter...

My wife, who will be my ex on the 15th, did indeed have a 17 year affair with a married man who is 12 years her senior who has 3 grown kids and who will not leave his wife and marry mine...my wife did indeed lie to me and it wasnt until I had her little man's neck in my stone mason's hands that she knew that their was no more lying...that she better find her clothes...my wife, who refused to go to marriage counseling for years and when she finally went it was a farce ....

I am telling you this because I am a simple man...not one time did I even hold someone elses hand in 20 years of marriage...I provided extremely well....and it all came down to that she thought that I was unsophisticated....that I was boring...and a bunch of other reasons..that all amount to crap... because she finally admitted "I just dont want to be married anymore"....and that is it...

So, my words to you are that there really are some people that you will never understand...no matter the cost...good luck in the dating world...really..tom

iamthanu said...

I guess what I was trying to say (pause, think, crunch lips) was a combination of recognizing that people are idiots (I'd say women, but that doesn't cover it) and an expression of sadness at that realization.

I never doubted any of the stories I've heard (yours included . . . but it's not the only one . . . there are many) but just hoped there could be another side. Now I know all these men, who are doing the best they can, but are emotionally mortally wounded. And rightfully so . . .

And it pisses me off.

Not just because I waited until I was ready. Not just because I said no to people because I could see that in ten years it wouldn't be right. And not just because now that I am ready (which took me a long ass time and I'm still not sure), I am dealing with baggage that I tried to avoid.

It pisses me off because it just isn't what human beings should do to each other.

So I'm sorry. I know that doesn't make anything better for anyone.

Anonymous said...

bloggeroo...but the good news is that it is a new day and like Mel Fisher said..."todays the day"....and one day it was..tom

iamthanu said...

But having "Samsonite" on your forehead would not be very attractive . . .

iamthanu said...

And yes, it is a new day . . . and there is tomorrow also . . .

Plus, it's my year of learning patience.

Anonymous said...

Obviously none of these people took the family and relationships classes offered in "Home Ec". Had they done this, all this could have been prevented cause they would have known something useful about themselves and relationships---maybe the world should be forced to listen to Dr. Laura in order to get a marriage license!?! We should reguire parenting licenses.

Sorry that there will be one more angry and messed up teenager in 12 years! You know, they never, never stop thinking their parents will "get back together". And I don't think that napping at the Starbucks is exactly what the child development experts would endorse---why doesn't anyone ever take their tired and cranky kids home to put to bed for a nap, anyway??? Oh, wait...they are busy thinking about how they just don't want to be married anymore....