Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dining Room Plan

Okay, so the plan is . . . to deal with the dining room. Cause then there could be shopping . . . for dining room furniture.

So I'm on step one: finish stripping parent's "stereo cabinet". I'm taking a break because the new stripper keeps burning through the gloves. Which is a good sign. At least I think it's a good sign. Evidently, there is no product listing on the web but my brother just sent me the skin exposure warnings --

This product is a skin irritant. Product may be absorbed through skin. May cause irritation; defatting; drying of skin; and dermatitis. May cause and increase the severity of symptoms listed under inhalation

And according to D. "defatting" is not desirable. So I need to find thicker gloves. Which I have. Somewhere.

So after I strip the stereo cabinet (which I think was Aunt Hazel's buffet or china cabinet in another life), I have to decide if I want to stain it . . . or paint it. Have the painting plan in my head . . . saw it at a store in Scottsdale. You put on four layers of different color paint and then sand things off in spots. But the buffet has inlay . . . so might not paint it. Anyhow, have to get it to a state in which I can move it to the living room, so it can live there for a while. Then will move everything else out of the dining room (tools, more tools, random shit, shop vac, electrical whoseits and whatsits) so I can wash the walls twice. And then paint.

I didn't start this project because I had this vision that I was going to put up wainscotting to eye level and then have a shelf around the room . . . and well, that's hard. It's a lot of pieces and wood and thinking. So I think I'll just paint the damn room, so I can use it and invite people over. Plus, I think I have a tiny roof leak . . . so I have to repair the ceiling before it gets worse (and repair the roof too . . .) Crap, I need a bigger ladder.

So if I just get it painted, then I can go buy stuff at IKEA . . . like shelves . . . and a table . . . and maybe even some chairs. And then I can have dinner parties . . . with no food and lots of martinis. So off to go find some thicker gloves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wrong aunt...was the youngest one....

Anonymous said...

Dinner parties...no food? Although that part sounds right I just can't see you hosting dinner parties......or martini parties. Which males would you invite?

iamthanu said...

Who says we have to invite boys?