Saturday, June 09, 2007

Uneven Terrain

I went with the wedges. It was a bad idea. But hindsight is usually twenty-twenty.

And I looked cute. The professional photographer who was there even said so . . . but he always says so.

And wedges are more comfortable than straight out heels. So everything was good . . . or as well as they could be considering. And then I hit the edge of the track. Uneven terrain. And I took my first digger. Fell. I hit the ground. So did george.

"SHIT!" My first concern was for the camera. But george was okay. My cute shoe was a little scuffed. The photographer laughed at me.

And graduation happened. Speeches. More speeches. Some choir singing. More speeches. I had taken a picture of the entire band from the top of the press box and figured I would walk out on the field to get a picture of the choir. Hit the edge of the track again. This time there was blood. Dripping of blood. And george took another hit.

So blood on the dress. Scraped knees. Ruined shoes. Totally torn up. Gave a kid the camera (have to write Nikon and thank them . . . george seems very durable) and went to the fieldhouse bathroom to clean up. Made it back for the throwing of the hats. And was just about to cry.

Then graduation was over . . . and I am collecting the cameras and passing out gifts to editors when my boss walks up to me. I am still bleeding. My friends have already gone to the restaurant. I have almost broken my face and my camera in front of a thousand people TWICE. And then the conversation did not go well.

So I cried. I cried at work. Only in front of one person . . . and not my boss . . . but I cried.

And then I went out and bought a new pair of shoes.

And my knees really hurt.

No comments: