Thursday, June 28, 2007

Orange Devil Sock Monkey

So I have moved on from hats to monkeys.

I am sewing my first sock monkey tonight . . . have his body done, just have to do the bits. You know, ears, arms, tail. All the things you do with the second sock.

I don't have any eyes, so that may have to wait for tomorrow. I don't know where to buy buttons at 1 a.m..

As this is my first sock monkey, I am sewing him completely by hand. That and I don't know how to work my grandmother's sewing machine that is sitting in my dining room (another damn thing in my dining room). The sewing machine would be way quicker, so I will have to figure out how to thread it. (That's what the internet is for, right?) And have some boy move it to the place that it could live. (Basement? Office? Living room temporarily?)

There is this group called The Sock Monkey Ministry . . . and although they are actually aligned with Christianity (I thought they were just a group of nice people. Which I suppose, is what some Christian groups are about.) AND although there doesn't seem to be any way to donate actual monkeys . . . if I get good at it perhaps I will send them some. Plus, I'm thinking of all the people in my life that really need sock monkeys. And I can think of more than a few.

So sock monkeys it is for the next couple of days. After all, how many hats does one need (I finished three this week . . . meaning two of you are getting hats. Soon. To get them out of my house. They are like tribbles.) If you have a color request, please comment. I will try to find socks to match the decor. Oh, and there are no actual sock monkey socks being purchased . . . I like to wear mine and will not give them up. They are really good socks. So if you want a traditional sock monkey, the socks are available on the internet . . . buy them and I'll sew one up for you. I find hunting for non-traditional socks much more fun.

Speaking of sock hunting . . . the men's sock department at Target sucks. I don't know how men find socks. Unless they just wear black all the time (probably for the best, in most cases).

And shopping for socks in the summer is a bit challenging. I found some nice bright argyle and some stripes, but would have liked to have a better color selection. But then again, I'm not really going to spend more than . . . say. . . three bucks for socks that I'm going to cut up. So if anyone sees some orange or yellow, especially solid, socks, let me know. D. wants an orange sock monkey. With devil horns.

Yeah, don't know what's up with the orange devil sock monkey . . . but it will be created as soon as I find some orange socks. I think he should be named LeRoy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.foxsoccershop.com/departments-socks-classic-tube-socks--orange-.html

iamthanu said...

Awww . . . thanks. That's so sweet.

But you know I have to touch things before I buy them.

Though, I might get over it for those socks.

Anonymous said...

http://www.sockcompany.com/monkeysocks.html