Tuesday, August 02, 2005

And it ONLY took five years

Princess was telling this story the other day about her friend who found a boyfriend on match.com . . . and it ONLY took her five years. This story was told as we were sitting in an empty "restaurant" (okay, it was a bar . . . you're all old enough to know . . . occasionally, I'll go to a bar) with no one even there to be interested in us. I used to work at the particular establishment, which usually means a free drink or two, but it was a week day so the bartender was new.

Yes, I do occasionally "milk" my former employer for attention and free drinks but only once every six months or so. The chef did come up and say "hello" but I think he may have already been in the bag because he assured me that he would come back and "chat" with me and he doesn't really want to talk to me . . . this would be okay (he's an okay guy) except he is the person who insisted on firing me. So I don't really like chatting with him because something bitchy might slip and ruin my karma for the night. Chef guy scurried to the other side of the restaurant and disappeared, thankfully.

Back to the original point . . . five years on match.com to get matched seems a bit excessive. It might be my ADD but I only lasted a month on eharmony . . . and only a couple of emails with eharmony guy (do I want to deal with other people's kids? especially three of them?). I guess if you are willing to put up with five years of pseudo-rejection over the computer, you really want to be matched. Let Morrisey get his head around that . . . instead of "it's a club and you've got to go" it's now checking your profile so that the computer matching service will put you at the head of the list (online in the last five minutes) so that you have a better marketing prospect.

For you young ones . . . Morrisey was the lead singer in a band called The Smiths. They have a classic song "How Soon is Now" which is all about longing and not being loved. I've always latched onto the line "it's a club and you've got to go . . . you could meet somebody who really loves you . . ." not really for the longing aspect but for the obligation. My mother always taught me that if you were invited . . . if someone was nice enough to invite you to something . . . that you should go. So it's the "got to go" idea that I connected with . . .
Evidently, the song was a huge anthem for the gay community in the 80's also. Who knew. By the way, the rest of the line is "so you go and you stand on your own . . . and you leave on your own and you go home and you cry and you want to die". (There really are all those "and"s too)

And with that randomness, I'm off to take pictures of houses in the neighborhood that look like mine so I can find windows that I like. Hopefully, I will not get arrested for doing this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 5 years? Is that supposed to be a story of encouragement?

iamthanu said...

No, really it was supposed to be sarcastic . . .

Basically, I am unwilling to actively look for a "match" on the internet, especially for, say, five years. But I'm a really intolerant, sarcastic, mean, awful person . . . I kill ants and weeds and such. I also support myself pretty well, so other than a shoulder to hide my face in during scary movies, and one other thing, I don't really NEED a match. I can just avoid scary movies.