Monday, August 08, 2005

Drunk Monkeys and Doorbells

After the Concourse d'Elegance, my family came over to visit. During this visit, my brother D. managed to get everything electrical checked and, more importantly, magically made the doorbell work. I have a doorbell. A doorbell that chimes (actually plays stupid songs like "Camptown Races" in a random order) when you push the button next to the door. No more signs for the windowmen, there is a doorbell. I am eternally grateful.

Because of the "my house was wired by drunk monkeys" problem, the doorbell doesn't work exactly like is supposed to . . . separate doors were supposed to have different chimes, a front door chime (stupid song) and a back door chime (ding-dong) . . . we can only get both buttons to do one thing (so either stupid song or ding-dong) so I don't know if the caller is at the front or the back door. My brother and I rationalized the one chime dilemma by figuring that my house is the size of a postage stamp so it really doesn't take that long to walk to the back door after you have figured out that there is no one at the front door. Besides . . . who goes to the back door and rings a door bell?

Of course the whole thing is set to random stupid song because that's why I bought this doorbell. I love the fact that it plays stuff like "Mary had a Little Lamb", it's seems so 1950's "look at my modern nifty doorbell" cheese. Love it. I paid extra for that cheese. When you are at the Home Depot doorbell display and you accidently push the "plays 50 different cheesy tunes" button, and the two minute "Battle Hymn of the Republic" plays, you think to yourself, "Who would buy that?" The answer is me.

So this "home improvement" project only took six months . . . and my brother still isn't sure that it won't burn down my house because "It isn't supposed to work that way". Be sure to try it out when you visit . . . I probably won't answer, much like my phone, but you can hear it through the door.

No comments: