Saturday, August 06, 2005

I Love the Internet

There is a whole website devoted to the abandoned buildings that we used to run around in while we were in high school (and by "we", I mean other people, because that would have been trespassing and therefore illegal). A whole "Northville Tunnels" website, complete with "busted" stories and tons of photographs. And you guys thought I had too much time on my hands . . .

They built a subdivision over the Northville tunnels and I suppose that they filled the tunnels in . . . can't really see them leaving large holes in the ground for people to fall into. Rumor always was that they were haunted, that satanists lived there, all sorts of fun. So fascinating to teenagers in the Northville/Novi/Plymouth-Canton area. Back when I lived in Northville, we called the new condos the "haunted ones", because, really, who would buy a condo there?

For the benefit of those who did not grown up Northville or in the 80's, Wayne County Children's Home was a facility for developmentally disabled children. However, we called it "The insane asylum" which was much more dark and tortured than what it really was. There were a lot of buildings and tunnels to connect them so that people could travel more easily in the winter months (or maybe it was just for the utilities). It was all abandoned by the time I was a teen and it was very cool to go there and run around in the dark. It was also very arty to go take pictures there for photography class. They bulldozed it for some condos, so I don't know what teens have to do in Northville now. Hopefully, they built them a skatepark or something. I also don't know what the Northville police department has to occupy their time either . . . I think the $50 trespassing tickets were a huge source of revenue.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly you didn't go to the movies last night! By the way, the second picture is fantastic. I recommend keeping that one and removing the other picture. I think the MAC people would agree as well. I am sure you know who this. But if not, here is a clue - I caught up with your entries since I was up at 6:00 am with my dogs:)
later!

Anonymous said...

Lobster on my head so i dont punch you in the face.

Hope everything is well with you, Emily. Those "Northville Tunnels", sound quite interesting. Well, just thought after acouple months of reading your blog, I'd stop being so lazy and finally drop you a line.
-Derka

iamthanu said...

Derka -

So nice to hear from you! Do you have all your classes for next month? You did take some art classes, right?

Yeah, as for the NTs, evidently there is this thing called urban exploration . . . or urban spelunking . . . I was a bit ahead of my time.

Glad you stopped by! Be good.

iamthanu said...

Princess,
Why were you up at 6am with the dogs? No, I didn't go to the movies last night and I could go to sleep either so I just stayed up until I needed to get ready (at 5am). The Concourse was very pretty as usual but the theme this year was Italian cars . . . I am much more of a "muscle car" kind of gal. I am a sucker for the 1940's though, cars so big that I don't think anyone drive them for themselves.

Anonymous said...

A skatepark is even trade for some adventure and fun filled ex-insane asylum related tunnels? Sad.

iamthanu said...

Certainly not an even trade (and I'm pretty sure Northville did NOT build a skatepark) . . .

I, now that I am old, can imagine the conversation (and probably party) at the zoning commission that day. (You mean someone wants to build condos over that danger pit? Hooray!)

And there is still Detroit . . . plenty of danger pits still there.

Anonymous said...

So, exactly how is it that you know about the $50 tickets?

iamthanu said...

I . . .um. . . heard about it?

Actually they had signs all over the place AND I think I left out a 0. I think they were actually $500.