Friday, August 05, 2005

Hate Window Estimates

Being the genius girl that I am . . . I measured all the windows in my house and created an Excel spreadsheet, with pictures, so I could just go to places and GET estimates for new windows.

I don't want anyone to come to my house . . . I don't want to get asked about my husband . . . (my imaginary husband for the window people is now named BUCK by the way, though I may go with Horatio) . . . I don't want to spend "just an hour" looking at the cut up window . . . I don't want to feel the "heat through the e2 glass" . . .

I just want someone to tell me how much a window that will fit a 36 1/4 x 54 inch hole will be and how much they want to install it. No one will give me a window by window price . . . no one will tell me how much of the price is window and how much is installation. I know how much windows are at the Home Depot . . . and I figure it's about that price again for installation but I just had a guy quote me 12,000 dollars for 15 windows. 12 THOUSAND dollars . . . that's as expensive as Pella wood windows. These were vinyl . . . nice vinyl but still vinyl. AND he wanted me to sign on the line, right then. "Why do you need to get all those estimates?" "But the 10% discount won't be good after today."

Is it just because I don't have someone named Horatio sitting next to me? Is it the muppet hair? I really can't do math in my head but COME ON, I do have access to a calculator and I can read the price tags at the home improvement store. I just want an itemized estimate for windows and I don't want to sit through an hour long sales pitch IN MY LIVING ROOM. Why can't I just go to the window store and get that?

My imaginary husband Horatio is going to come home and kick your ass, window man . . . and then you might have to deal with Buck.

No comments: