Friday, August 26, 2005

The Empire Strikes Back

Ahh, back at the evil empire. So much to do, so little time. I set up one of my rooms today and now am all sweaty and gross. Read a few too many books at a "book club" last night and my friend kept ordering more and more copies for everyone.

I refuse to plug in my phone at the evil empire until Monday because I know that I have 47,542 messages (When do I pay? Do I have to get my picture taken there? Can I get another yearbook from 1904?) and I don't want the phone to blink at me. The angry blinking message light would burn holes into my brain at this point. So if anyone wants to get a hold of me, they page me on the P.A. system.

Somehow the intricate wiring of the P.A. system makes everyone's voice sound as if everything is extremely urgent. A tone like "I have a rabid squirrel chewing on the back on my neck and only you can get it off, due to your extensive knowledge of rabies and squirrels, so could you please come because this is very uncomfortable. OUCH . . . stop that . . ." click. (I've been told that I sound very nice on the P.A. system, but I had that one radio class in high school)

So between dealing with the diseased squirrel attacks and the amazing amounts of dead insects in my room (how do they get there and why do they have to die in my space?) I hot glued some posters on the wall, put some of my books on the shelf, wrestled with the "marker problem" (but I ordered three boxes of fine tip markers . . . I know you ordered eight and we only received seven but that doesn't mean I shouldn't get some), considered how feasible it would be to put a large curtain up along the tape line dividing my office (brought on by the marker problem), and laminated the world. I'm nowhere near ready but neither is the evil empire so I think it will be alright.

And I can put up a curtain . . . a pipe, some flat connectors on the wall and alot of fabric . . . maybe bed sheets . . . it would be so worth it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear Home Depot has a sale on those metal wall studs...

iamthanu said...

Unfortunately, building a wall may violate several building codes, make the maintenance union pissed, and draw attention to the office. Though I do sometimes dream a la "Cask of Amontillado", walling up her side, I think the curtain will make enough of a statement.

Besides . . . the kids reminded me of the "stay on your side" fit that happened last year when I sent some students to look something up on the computer.

It will be beneficial to both parties. I'm always for the "win-win",