Wednesday, June 21, 2006

That's Going to Be How Much? Just To See?

Today I spent $408.00 on contacts . . . four hundred dollars for little formed pieces of plastic to put in my eyes. Granted, they are lovely little pieces of plastic that let me see the world beyond my nose clearly . . . but still. A hundred of that was for my eye doctor "Andy" to diagnose that I am still blind as a bat, in fact, more so than last time. I love that I have an eye doctor named "Andy". And the little pieces of plastic he gave me today feel so much better than the little pieces of plastic that I have been wearing entirely too long.

Ahh, the myth of contacts. They say they are good for a week . . . and yet, I cannot help wearing them until they rip or disappear into my cleavage. Because they cost $400.

On another doctor front . . . I went to the dermatologist for the first time in ages. Picked a new one, close to home. Says my skin is "good, not much sun damage" . . . thus making all those times I was grounded the summers of my teenage years and my mother forcing me to go to the beach, wrong . . . so very wrong. Luckily, I just moped around looking like Winona Ryder in Beetlejuice. See, my underage angst did have some benefits, after all.

Did have an amusing interaction where, in my usual Dark Princess style, I told my doctor what to do.
"So you see there's really nothing we can do . . ."
"Really? Well, my other doctor just used liquid nitrogen."
"Oh yeah . . . well . . . that could work . . ."

Nothing like self-diagnosis and self-suggested treatment to establish and healthy doctor-patient relationship. And that's probably going to cost me, like, $600.00.

No comments: