Friday, September 01, 2006

Chimney What?

First, let me preface that I have a migrane. Not an enormous, throwing up, lie in the dark and wish for death one . . . but an annoyance, nonetheless.

Water Heater guy shows up at 3 p.m., well within his 2 to 6 p.m. time frame. We shake hands and go to the basement. He looks at everything. Opens up my furnace.

He then starts talking. He has a thick accent. "Holiday" sounds like "Holy day". Have to put in copper pipes because that is what will fit into the pretty, pretty princess water heater. Okay. Have to change the shut off valve for the gas because it's too low. Makes sense. Some rugrat could mess with the gas line I suppose. Have to change the vent stack from a three inch to a five inch. Okay, do what you have to do . . .

"Since your furnace have a fan, we have to put in chimney liner." Ummm . . . what does my furnace have to do with anything. "Is code. And have to change furnace vent here. Is no good." But I'm getting a water heater, not a furnace.

I send him up to do the write up.

He comes back with the paperwork. A chimney liner is $650, the rest of the work comes to $515. In addition, he has to break out part of the chimney for the bigger stack. This is on top of the $668.01 I already paid. I tell him to do it without the chimney liner. No. I call Mr. Crabbypants. I tell Water Heater man to take the thing back. No. I call the city to check on the code.

"Is the man inside your house?" the woman on the phone sounds like I'm in a poorly scripted horror movie. He's on my driveway, why? "Don't let him in your house" (Da-Duh, Da-Duh music in background) Umm, okay . . . why? "He hasn't pulled a permit." But I PAID for the permit.

"Is okay. Have 72 hours for permit. Emergincy." Lady on the phone is not agreeing with him. But he is from Home Depot. Lady puts me on hold. Comes back. Doesn't know anything and anyone who does know anything is not there and unreachable. "Who you talk to?" Give phone with lady to Water Heater Man. "She not know . . . plumbing inspeector not there."

We go into the basement again, despite the horror movie soundtrack phone call, and he tries to explain again why I need to pay more than my car is worth for a water heater. "Okay, promise me this . . . when the inspector comes, he's going to say that I needed all this work done. Right?" Blank stare. Pause. "Well, he not see what is here before." Shrug. "I'm going to try this again. When the inspector comes on Tuesday, he is going to say that it was a good idea to pay all this money, right?" Long pause. "Inspeector. He not come on Tuesday." Long explanation about permits, postcards and appointments happens. "Okay, okay, so on Friday, when the inspector comes and looks at all this, he is going to tell me that I had to have this done, right?" Blank stare. Opens furnace again. "I look at the sticker." He can't find the sticker, which is right in front of his nose. He digs around in the furnace. "No sticker." I point to the black sticker with the numbers on it. "That sticker?" "Oh, yes." He is looking for the BTUs. "Those BTUs?"I say. "Yes, yes." "Must have liner."

I agree to pay, after several panicked calls to Stately Wayne Manor. There is a suspicion that I have bought the "wrong" water heater. "If I buy the cheaper one do we have to do all this?" "Yes, yes." Finally, he is outside and I call Home Depot. "He hasn't pulled the permit?!?" J. at Home Depot agrees to pay me if it turns out that I didn't need the work done. I feel much better. "The reason it didn't come up during your home inspection is that it would be grandfathered into code . . . but since you are having new work done, you would have to bring it up to code." Finally, that made sense. But what does my water heater have to do with my furnace . . . and why is he messing with my furnace? "Don't know about that one . . . don't know why he hasn't pulled the permit either, he had two days."

Water heater man has left twice. Keeps telling me that it will take four hours after he gets back. I did some research while he was gone for the first hour, and found that he is probably right . . . I probably do need a chimney liner. Has to do with the amount of heat going out your chimney. In the 50's, when things weren't energy efficient, lots of heat when out the vent, which prevented condensation. Pretty, pretty princess water heaters do not waste heat and therefore there will be condensation in your pipes and rust (which is "trust without the t") and so you have to make the space smaller because . . . anyhow, it made sense on the twelve "Bob Vila" like websites I looked at. What bothers me is that Water Heater man will not say "Yes, the inspeector, he wants this." Will not say it. No matter how hard I try. Plus, he used aluminum, not stainless steel and he didn't insulate it. The Bob Vila websites, they say to put insulation (evil vermiculite) around the stainless steel liner. For $650 dollars, Home Depot will be hearing about that.

Poor guy didn't know what he was walking into . . . but after all the window guys last summer (see 2005 archives) . . . and he was going into my basement, so he's going to know that my imaginary husband "Buck" is . . . well . . . imaginary . . .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. You were pretty much boned once you had someone else do the work! Or work by the Depot's sub-contractors (if that's what you care to call them).

There was no way they would use stainless steel (very expensive)!
Aluminum is ok! Look up for light, If you can see light it wasn't insulated.

Sorry to hear about your home woes (hehe sorry juvineile this afternoon).

~sms~

iamthanu said...

You and my brother . . .

Sorry, though I can conceptualize installing a water heater, I can not do that job myself. My father, bless him, can talk me through many a home improvement project but the water heater needed to be replaced immediately.

Interestingly, I got the sub-contractor through Home Depot because they have to be certified through Home Depot, therefore usually better than finding someone off the street.

It was just such a single female in the car dealership ordeal. And I hate that feeling.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, when I read my head hit the monitor. I felt bad, yet understood! Sort of feel like an I told you so ass! I was going to suggest cultivating friends with the get er done crowd! But...What's done is done.

Did you get to go to A,B,& E this weekend? Just think you have fresh minds to mold tommorow! Or maybe fresh minds to mold you?

~sms~

iamthanu said...

Remind me what A, B and E is again? Sorry, my head is swimming . . . stalker man is back with a vengence (remember the "I saw you here and here and on myspace and . . . ) and wrote some really nasty stuff. Or maybe I just think it's nasty stuff? So I'm wondering if I should just continue with the "ignore him" tactic, which doesn't seem to be working . . . or if responding will just encourage him.

So I take it you know how to install water heaters? How was the school shopping for you, by the way? Do you think I'm allowed to write off "beverages" as school supplies?

iamthanu said...

Arts, Beats and Eats . . . got it. Sorry, dumb. Just like the guy said in the email.

Anonymous said...

Actually jack of all trades master of none. Sometimes its a badge of honor. Othertimes...Sigh! I admitedly come from a long line of get r done business men! Double sigh!

A,B & E = Arts Beats and Eats. 7th largest art festival in the U.S. or so they say. How would I even know if that factoid was close to being correct! Or why would I. Sort of an odd trophy to carry. Just saying.

Stalker = You could just buy a gun, sit in your basement polishing the gun. While admiring your new water heater, while waiting for your stalker to come a callin. You were looking for uses for the new splenderific water heater right? Or maybe a terse "I don't think so" might suffice.

And what did he write? If he said your myspace was ugly...Well. Everyones myspace is ugly. Damn thing should be banned. Visit ZeFrank regarding MySpace. But don't admit to being a New Viewer.

School shopping was grand.
Clothes - check
Backpacks - check
School supplies - check. On this one I just bought 5-10 of everything that was on sale at Target, Wal-mart, K-mart, OfficeMax and what not. Being that the godless school district to which my children attend do not give out supply list till after the first day of school. To which I over paid last year. So I'll overpay and have excess this year. Yeah I'll look like a crack dealer come November selling school supplies to any kid going into the school that has lunch money and is in need of a good sharpie fix. Sorry, I know parents venting to teachers = disaster!

Sure you can write off beverages!
Coffee - as a medical
Beer - for science class! You do teach science right. (Wink)
Water - because the system at said school contains lead poison.
You'll have to work on any carbonated beverages. Though that might work under science as well. Just make wild claims about that damn periodic table!!!

~sms~

iamthanu said...

Sigh . . . I love Sharpies.

Anonymous said...

So it comes to this? Huffin the Sharpies. So sad!

iamthanu said...

Huff the Sharpies? Why in the world would I bother . . . I used to be an art teacher. Sharpies, they're so amateur . . . for that purpose anyhow.

No, I use Sharpies to write and draw . . . and tag things.