Wednesday, September 13, 2006

No Think, Only Do

Okay, now that I'm out of the monkey suit and in my jeans and Sisters of Mercy T-shirt (if I had known how much wear I was going to get out of the S of M T-shirt I would have bought two), let us ponder the following:

How many times has someone asked you what an adverb is?

I know my answer . . . and really unless you're an English teacher (and therefore have to answer the question) do you really need to know? (a word that modifies a verb or an adjective) And although I have my grammar worksheets lined up for tomorrow because I was at work until 9 p.m. and I was only cornered seven times tonight, so I don't want to think. There is no think tomorrow, only do. Thank you Yoda. Eight parts of speech, not including articles . . . because really, do we need to go over articles? But then they don't know what an article is . . . so we do have to go over them.

I hate grammar.

Wait, that's not true. I hate teaching grammar. I love reading books like "The Deluxe Transitive Vampire" and "Woe is I". But when I have to teach it, it rings hollow. I made it through college without really knowing what an adverb was . . . I could look it up. And I knew where to look it up. Which, I suppose, is what I really should be teaching.

Being pulled in all sorts of directions. And none of them are social and that's bad. I do not want to fall into work. So hard for work just to be work in my business.

Must go to sleep. Cannot be crabby tomorrow. Must be able to point out the adverbs.

3 comments:

iamthanu said...

Dear George,

I'm glad you love grammar.

I do not like teaching it to ninth graders. But then again, I think of myself as an art teacher. Maybe you could put something in NCLB about teacher being able to teach what they want . . .

Sincerely,
Emily

Anonymous said...

"No Child Left Behind", what a joke...

Tell me, has your school received enough funding from the Federal gov't to support their ediction via NCLB?

iamthanu said...

There is never enough money . . . and when there is it goes other places . . .

But enough about work, on this public blog.