Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dumb Question

There was a question that a certain group of people took very seriously.

"What kind of animal would you like to be?"

Personally, I think it is an awesomely dumb question . . . but it keeps coming up. At icebreakers, in discussions . . . evidently, in interviews.

And I realized that I don't have an answer to that question. Or more precisely, I don't have a clever answer to that question. Even more to the point, I don't have a "flip" answer to that question. And that bothers me.

So I've given it a lot of thought. The animal I would like to be, or would like to be more like, (like, how many more likes could I fit into a sentence?) is a spider. A spider is about patience. Patience to make the web. Patience to make the web again, when I come along with the swiffer. (My spiders luck out really) Patience to sit and wait for something to fall into the web.

I know. So not me.

No arguments about whether or not a spider is an animal. Please.

The animal I am like? I'm not sure. Homo sapiens? A monkey . . . because I think it would be freeing to throw poo? Something intimidating, with fangs. Maybe a bat? I'm not really all that intimidating, once you get to know me, but intimidating seems to be the winning adjective for Emily these days. At work they just incorporate my last name into the word. I least I don't think I'm intimidating. But I don't think I'm very confident either and somehow I seem to come off as that too. What animal is just seen as irrational, random and bitchy?

Like I said, it's a stupid question. Better than thinking over other things, I guess.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some men would say that animal is a woman.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not one of them. But I am familiar with the mindset.

Irrational, random and bitchy (I take bitchy to mean free or independent thinking despite the desires of others?)

That would be a cat! More than likely a lap cat to boot.

~sms~

Anonymous said...

Hey, seeing that you're incorporating song lyrics into your blog. How about a request?

Shreikback - these faded flowers


~sms~


was just wondering is all

iamthanu said...

You certainly know how to make a girl swoon . . . Shreikback, Oil and Gold . . . only own it on vinyl and will now have to make a trip to the store tomorrow. One of my favorites.

Feathers and eels . . . I'll see what I can do . . .

Anonymous said...

Is Repeat the Beat still around? I actually bought the CD in Toronto. The record store that has 3 or 4 levels. I Forget the Name of the store, but can still visualize what it looked like.

I was going to continue along the Smiths line with Shoplifters of the World. But?

Did you get your Art class?

Hope all is well with water heaters, stalkers and what not.

~sms~


Is it me or is the word verifaction words getting longer?

iamthanu said...

No, Repeat the Beat died years ago. It's a Jimmy John's in Plymouth and a very expensive hair salon in Royal Oak.

OCC did not have late registration and CCS was giving me crap . . . says one thing and then another. So no class. MSU in November . . . Saturday class with Cusick (whom I love).

The permit for the water heater has not arrived . . . or the inspection postcard, or whatever I was supposed to get. Have to call the city tomorrow and then break some heads at Home Depot. I may be a Lowe's convert after this.

Stalker has been quiet. Failure to Launch guy answered all those questions and then never emailed me back. Boys are dumb.

I tried to buy Shriekback tonight. Didn't work out. Will have to order it online . . . though I remember buying it when I lived in Northville. Hmmm, maybe I should look a bit harder before I go crazy on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

A Jimmy John's huh! I guess it's been a while. Sad when old haunts get laid to rest.

Really the Center for Creative Snobs gave you crap. How unusual.

The Depot used to be superior, but there all just Wal-Mart clones now.

Good to here about stalker guy. Failure to Launch may be looking for a little encourgemant. And were not dumb, just simple. Guys just want a woman to come with directions. That way we can through them away. The directions that is. Would you have us any other way?

I know I have seen Shriekback - Oil and Gold at Best Buy! Sometimes I have to remind myself that I own it. It's that simple thing!

~sms~