Saturday, August 05, 2006

Good Bye Muppet Hair

The appointment is on Tuesday. I dyed my hair "devilish" for the last time yesterday.

And it makes me sad. I like my hair.

I love that small children look at me in wonder. I love that random African American women compliment me in stores. I even love that a group of sullen teenagers in my neighborhood yelled that "Goth" kids suck . . . even though I'm 35. I love that I am easy to spot in a large room. I love that my hair doesn't look like anyone else's hair.

And all of that will be gone on Tuesday. The "rebellion phase" will be over . . . and my hair will be a "normal" color . . . and I will go back to being a "normal" person, as much as I can ever do that.

And it makes me sad. Like Superman being relegated to always being Clark Kent. I guess it couldn't be forever . . . and my shower can't be pink forever.

So Tuesday, I will be "normal" again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"normal" is an inprecise term. On the continuium of "normal" you will always be at the end....hair is only an outward sign. You will still be who you are....just not a muppet.

Besides, when you are old, you can have blue or purple hair, except no one will think it odd....

iamthanu said...

Except that I don't want to wait until I'm old.