Friday, August 18, 2006

I Run Slow

Or to be more correct, I run slowly.

Today was the day that I was to run 20 minutes straight with no walking . . . ideally running for 2 miles. I don't think that I've run for twenty minutes with no walking ever. Sure I "ran" that 5K in sixth grade because I had a deep admiration for Mr. Williams, who was a runner and wanted us all to be runners. But I must admit there was a lot of walking in amongst the running in that 5k in sixth grade. And I don't think I ever trained for more than a mile, which I thought was running the whole loop of the subdivision. (or our "sub", as we called them)

So I just ran for twenty minutes, with no walking. And right at this moment I don't feel as though I'm going to die . . . though right afterward I considered just lying down in the street and taking a little siesta. And through the power of the internet, I know that I did not run 2 miles . . . I only ran 1.5821 miles according to the gmap pedometer. But hey, I've not run 1.5 miles straight in a long time . . . if ever.

So I made it. Ran all the way through, no walking. Got over the fear and psyching myself out (every new routine, somewhere in my brain says "You can't do that"). So now I get to put on some flip-flops and go get my nails done, that and Traders Joe's for some crack trail mix. After a shower, of course.

And for the record . . . I'm old. So I'm allowed to run slowly.

No comments: