Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pattern Recognition and Smooth Buttons

I've been reading Gibson. It's always a sure bet . . . I always like his books and the only one that I haven't read is "Pattern Recognition". For some reason, I cannot bring myself to buy "Pattern Recognition" yet because somehow I'm sure I already have it, or I bought it for my brother and didn't give it to him, or he already had it . . . or he gave it to me. And God knows were it is . . .

So instead, I go to Barnes and Noble and read it in the air conditioning (remember? I raised the thermostat? As to not cause the blackout?). I'm already to chapter four.

There is a detailed description of the main character's clothing tics . . . she removes all the trademarks off of her clothing . . . she goes and has the logos ground off the buttons of her jeans at the shoe repair . . . which is somehow appealing to me. Needing a new wardrobe, I may model it after her, except that I can certainly grind the logos off my own buttons. I think there is a bench grinder at Stately Wayne Manor, getting no use, waiting for me.

And for any of you worrying about Mr. Gibson's financial situation, as I am "stealing" his book by reading it and not buying it . . . I'm sure I'll buy it by the end. Or I'll find it on my bookshelf. My Gibson collection has a habit of going missing (mostly to my brother, I'm sure) as I once owned everything . . . and I know I've bought Neuromancer three times and loaned it out. (one of my favorite books of all time) Gibson books do not come back to me . . . I should just consider them gifts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Manor" ahs a Dremel too, much easier than the grinder.

iamthanu said...

Even better . . . can't wait to get the black 501s and the Fruit of the Loom T-shirts. Going to be a pain to take all the stitches off the pockets though. Oh well, commitment to unbranding takes commitment.